jeudi 8 avril 2021

The fireplace in homes.



















Hello Friends,
Today, we will see the typical Normand fireplace.
Mine is only 40 years old it is to say a new one, a copy of 
The existing fireplaces in our thatched houses.
At the end of the post I found some photos of antique ones.
They were mostly made with bricks. 
Ours is in between two smaller windows and takes most of one wall.
 The typical houses were dark, because of small windows and lots of wood decoration.
Beams on ceiling on fireplace mantel...
In my living room I have a big oak wooden stair.
In fact typical Normand house  were mostly «  longeres « 
It is to say long houses with no first floor and communicating rooms. Not very easy to live in. 


This is one of the typical house, this one is a thatched house with one first floor. On top of the thatched roof there are iris 
I hope you enjoyed the visit. Have a nice day.

5 commentaires:

  1. Dear Catherine, I like fire places. I do not have and I miss it.I have central heating at home.The thatched house is beautiful.
    It is good that that you do not have to go to the clinic again and the nurse comes every day. Speedy recovery!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I like fireplaces. We have two, but they are gas. Wood is getting hard to find and people complain about the smoke in the air. I like wood fires better, but the gas is very even and heats our house. I remember seeing the thatched roof houses in Normandy, with the tufts of green plants - are they irises? - on the top.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I did enjoy the visit. I like fireplaces. We don't have one, so it was fun to see these. I like that thatched roof house too - such charm!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. We love a fire in the fireplace but since we divided our house the fireplace is in our son's family's part. Your oak stairs are very impressive.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. What a pretty - and BIG - fireplace you have! That's good! It is more useful than the tiny ones in so many new American homes. I am amazed at your architecture. We have nothing like that here!

    RépondreSupprimer

Good Luck! 🍀

 Hello Friends, This month of May here is a month of many Bank holidays beginning by the 1rst of May . The first of May in our country we ex...