jeudi 14 septembre 2023

The Johnnies or petit jean.



Today, we wanted to go to Batz island, but too many people queuing! So we came back later and my husband bought tickets for tomorrow.

Tomorrow we are changing our hotel for one night 

Just a few meters far and with sea view.

We just had our lunch in front of the thalassotherapy 

And waiting for high tide for a swim.

A little bit of history… I found these pictures of old traditional costumes.

 Women washing their clothes 

Onion fields

We went to the “Johnnies » museum and I viewed a video about men from Roscoff ( the johnnies name given by the English population many of them were certainly named “Jean” John in English.

They went to England by fishing boats loaded with onions and had a place in London to stock the onions and everyday they went to sell their onions loaded on their bicycles through London and even going to Bristol. They stayed in England 6to 8 months and then came back to France to do their farming.

They had onions at the front and back of the bicycle .



 This is the bicycle they used until the 80’s!

Now I am going on the beach.

( my son does not have too much pain and is waiting for his surgery on Monday. We are going home on Saturday and have more news then)


3 commentaires:

  1. When I was a child in Cornwall, just after the war, we used to get the onion sellers calling. I was so pleased that I could say Bonjour!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Glad to hear that report on your son.
    The area I live in has a lot of farms that grow celery and onions. Just today I saw onions piled in rows in the fields like your picture.
    Have fun tomorrow!

    RépondreSupprimer

No painting today, but a nice outing !

The beautiful apron I found today! I love it! A  A soy candle Today, it is warm and sunny. I should have done some painting… but we decided ...