jeudi 14 octobre 2021

Waiting!

 Hello Friends,

I have spent the morning upstairs looking at some old “ Country Living”, it is becoming cold without any heating. 

The old boiler is outside and they have taken the new one inside which was very heavy!


As I was looking at the magazines I was wondering what kind of food you had for Christmas in your countries?


Here we have roast turkey with chestnuts stuffing,

But I do the Crabtree & Evelyn recipe of Fruit and nut stuffing. It has prunes , dried apricots, Sherry, walnuts,almonds,celery, apple, pear, kumquat,, parsley, orange zest, sage, thyme, cinnamon, mace , coriander… butter, whole meal bread, salt and pepper!

I prepare it in advance and put it to freeze!

I also like goose with this stuffing.

As a starter we have “ foie gras” duck or goose one.

Salmon with toasts.

And at the end “ une Bûche de Noël”

Xmas log , but now we prefer some other dessert

It depends on the nice recipe I find.



( source Crabtree & Evelyn” book “ Cookbook”)



I think I am going to continue my reading while they are very busy working!



New boiler ! It will be white and grey at the front.

They have worked well with music and singing but  very professional!

I prepared them coffee and biscuit as they don’t take time to eat.

I am baking a lemon cake for them tomorrow.

Tomorrow one of them is going on the roof to work on the chimney.

I am impatient to have heating and hot water!

7 commentaires:

  1. I would be impatient for heat and hot water too!
    Ham, turkey and roast beef are all common here for Christmas. WE have turkey, which we smoke on a BBQ grill. My stuffing is the common savory stuffing - ordinary bread, some dried cornbread, sausage, mushrooms, celery, onion, sage, rosemary, thyme, turkey stock. Served with cranberry sauce.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I like Crabtree and Evelyn.
    We have ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, salad, raisin sauce (goes on the ham) and pie. Yum!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Twenty and more years ago we always had a big roast turkey for Christmas Day, and oyster stew on Christmas Eve. Oyster stew came from the German tradition, I think... ? Anyway, our meals change a bit over the years, nowadays I love to have a leg of lamb and maybe ham, for people who don't like lamb. But oyster stew remains constant, and I always make many kinds of cookies, which I also learned from my mother-in-law's German upbringing. And pies! We always have pies on Christmas Day.

    You are smart to start thinking about Christmas cooking now in the fall. I also was thinking just today about planning what cookies I will bake. If the family can't come, I will give them to neighbors.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I hope the work got finished and you once again have heat and hot water.
    For our family it has to be roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and in recent years also a ham. Usually we're too stuffed for dessert but my daughter has made trifle.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Being Southern Hemisphere, it is often too hot here to have a traditional roast. We usually do a selection of cold meats and different salads, followed by a choice of cold desserts. And then it is time for a sit-around, usually outside under some garden shade, and a snooze for those who have overeaten!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I hope you soon will get it nice and warm again! Our Christmas dinner is roasted pork ribs, meatballs and sausages. Served with sauerkraut, potatoes, vegetables. For desert we have Rice Cream, which is almost like the more famous Rice a la Mande, served with red fruit sauce. This is the most common Christmas food in Norway.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. How kind you are to the workmen. I'm sure they appreciate the home-baked treats.
    We usually have turkey with a savoury bread stuffing to which I add apples and cranberries, sometimes. It's a tradition in our family to bake many kinds of Christmas cookie to enjoy over the season and I am thinking about what I'll make this year.
    I make a buche de noel and we often enjoy that on Christmas Eve. It's interesting to learn of others' Christmas traditions.

    RépondreSupprimer

Happy Easter 🐣 !

Who is under this blanket? Bandit my dog 🐕 and this is how I feel today! As I had covid at Xmas I am not well for Easter ! I still am shive...