dimanche 6 septembre 2026

The History of a photo.

Hello friends!
When we did our road trip in the Netherlands some years ago, three years of I remember time flies so quickly!
We went to frieseland up north east of the country.
A beautiful agricultural place and very nice farms and landscapes.i was looking at my photos and reminded me of that place a beautiful place but a sad history!
We slept in a B&B which was part of a synagogue. They did a nice place for tourists 
But what I did not know is that in August 1942 the entire population of the Dutch province of Goringue  or Groningen in Dutch. was rounded up and deported by the occupying forces to Auschwitz Birkenau 2550 inhabitants of the province only 10 survived.
And we were sleeping in the classroom.
The picture of the school children all deported was in the room and the place was nice but I couldn’t sleep thinking of those children.
I just reminded me of this photo that disturbed me a lot because I did not know the history of the province of Groningen.
History is part of the travels!








The small houses above the canal were the kitchen 




 

3 commentaires:

  1. I love seeing history come alive when traveling. That is a very sad chapter.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I agree with Mari. I love history, but I hate it too.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. History is full of so many sad stories. I would have had difficulty sleeping in that room, too.
    Beautiful houses. I'm glad that Blogger has been fixed so I can comment now.

    RépondreSupprimer

The History of a photo.

Hello friends! When we did our road trip in the Netherlands some years ago, three years of I remember time flies so quickly! We went to frie...